February 16, 2012

SandBox Comments: Glenwood Springs Post Independent/Your Letters "Rehab was hard, but it worked"

You know who else rocks?

Our drug courts.  And Jared Hogue.  We're pretty sure the PI won't mind us taking the snip of this in it's entirety.

A special thank you goes to all of our first responders, our local, regional and federal  law enforcement, our 'dime-dropping' anonymous tipsters, our lawyers on both sides of drug issues and especially to our Judges who preside over drug court.  You are appreciated.

Jared Hogue:
"My name is Jared Hogue, the same name that appeared in the paper many times for meth arrests to high speed chases. I just wanted to say thank you to Judge Daniel Petre for allowing me the treatment that I needed to turn my life around.

This is the reason I'm writing this letter. People believe that if a person is addicted to drugs, we should lock them up and throw away the key. I don't believe in this.

I was in prison twice before in my life for things I had done while under the influence of meth. The only thing it did for me was teach me how to be a criminal.

Then in 2006, after a slew of felony charges, I was given the chance to go to a serious rehabilitation program. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I planted my feet and said, “I can beat this disease.”

Now, almost seven years later, I'm still drug free. This program gave me the opportunity to build a life for myself after the wreckage I had created.

I now have a good career doing something I love. I won custody of my daughter after a year-long process through the courts. I have a wonderful woman in my life now. I love life.

Addiction is a disease, and it's treatable. Addicts do things they would never do sober when they are under the influence of drugs. But rehab doesn't come easily. It's a hard, long process, and the addict has to be willing to make a change.

Thanks to an awesome attorney and Judge Petre, and even the district attorney, I was given an opportunity that changed my life forever. Change is possible with the right intervention.

So as I sit here after a night shift at work, thanking God for the life I am able to live, I was reflecting on addicts and treatment. We need more long-term treatment for addicts.

Thank you, Judge Petre, I am forever indebted to you for your wisdom...."

"Unapologetically pursuing and tracking patterns within the news others make since 2010."

No comments: