April 8, 2012

SandBoxBlogs: Summit County Citizens Voice "Timing of Easter linked with lunar cycles"

Bob Berwyn:
"SUMMIT COUNTY — When my son asked me a few days ago why the date of Easter changes every year, I could only answer him partially, thanks to one of those random bits of information that my dad passed along to me at some point.

I knew only that Easter Sunday falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring, but I wasn’t sure exactly why or how that date was set, and Dylan’s question was pretty darn logical, as he wondered why we celebrate a very specific event (the resurrection) on a different day each year.

Even before doing a little research on the web, I told him that Easter has roots predating the Christian mythology of the resurrection, as a celebration of spring and fertility following the vernal equinox. As the Earth started to turn green again, ancient people knew there was relief from the long hunger days of winter...."  (Read more?  Click title)

No comments: