October 27, 2011

SandBox Comments: Summit County Citizens Voice "Colorado: Hiking Mount Harvard"

"The  Collegiate Peaks west of Buena Vista provide many beautiful and challenging hikes within an hour of Summit County. The peaks are part of one of the ten largest wilderness areas in the U.S. Over the past several years, I have scrambled over the long boulder fields of Mount Harvard a few times. At 14,420 feet, the summit of Harvard is the third highest Fourteener in Colorado.

My first ascent of Harvard on a hot August day ended with me hunkered down in a blinding snowstorm with a covey of ptarmigan among the rocks at about 13,000 feet, then drenched in a heavy rain on my retreat down Frenchman Creek...."
(Kim Fenske)

(Learn more?  Click title and comment to start discussion)

1 comment:

fanny waist pack said...

Thanks for sharing about the Collegiate Peaks. I'm planning a trip to Colorado next summer and Mt Harvard looks like an awesome hike. I'll try to avoid the snowstorm activity!