March 30, 2012

SandBoxBlogs: Citizen Telegram "Top cop to turn in badge after 39 years on the job"

Citizen Telegram:
"Police Chief Daryl Meisner will finish his 39-year law enforcement career in July, when he turns in his badge and retires.

“I've always had good instincts throughout my career, and my instincts tell me it's just the right time,” Meisner, 59, said in his office at the Rifle Police Department building on South 18th Street. “I'm kind of scared and excited, both.”

In recent years, when crimes like arson fires and the shooting deaths of four residents occurred, Meisner said Rifle was no longer a “Mayberry” kind of town. The reference to the idyllic, mythical small town on TV's “The Andy Griffith Show” grew out of Meisner's early career in the 1970s.

“Being out on the streets and walking around, people would say ‘Here comes Rifle's Barney Fife,' ” Meisner said of the show's popular deputy character. “I'd just laugh. I even started carrying a bullet in my pocket,” like the Fife character.

Born in Meeker and raised in Rifle, Meisner began his law enforcement career in December 1973. Former chief Larry Allec asked if he was interested in becoming a reserve officer...."
(Read more?  Click title)

"Unapologetically pursuing and tracking patterns within the news others make since 2010."

No comments: